Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Turkey, Kale and Sundried Tomatoes
If you make one dish all holiday season, it should be my creamy pumpkin pasta with turkey, kale and sundried tomatoes. As Christmas dinner might look a little different this year, I wanted to give you a recipe that the whole family will love! Who knows, maybe this will become your new Christmas dinner tradition… if not, there’s 364 other days in the year to enjoy it!
For the pasta
- 16 oz of your favorite gluten-free pasta I used Jovial’s spaghetti
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the sauce
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 sage leaves minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Red pepper flakes
For the garlic kale
- 1 bunch kale chopped and fibrous core removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- Favorite cheeses to top: I used a goat milk gouda and a sheep milk manchego
- In a large pot, add the sun dried tomatoes and a little bit of the oil they’re packed in. Add the onion, garlic cloves, sage and sauté until the onion is soft. Pour in the broth, tomato sauce and pumpkin and stir well. Add a small dash of cinnamon and the dried basil. Simmer for around 15 minutes. As the sauce thickens up, you can add water or broth to water it down. After 15 minutes, blend in a high powered blender or with a handheld immersion blender until creamy and mostly smooth. Stir in almond milk and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Prepare the pasta according to package.
- In a skillet, add the chopped onion and sauté until almost translucent. Add the turkey and brown with seasonings. If you feel it’s getting too dry, add in a bit of water to keep it moist.
- Add oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Add in the garlic and chopped kale and toss until the kale softens and wilts.
- Toss the turkey and sauce together, mixing well with the prepared and drained pasta. I served the garlic kale next to it. Grate the cheese generously over the dish. Enjoy!