Fresh Carrot Ginger Soup
The refreshing ginger totally balances this creamy and savory carrot-leek bisque. You might even have most of the ingredients on hand so just make sure sure to add fresh ginger, turmeric and enough carrots to your next grocery list! Enjoy
- 2 leeks white and green parts only, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 lbs carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces (will yield about 5 cups)
- 7 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp Celtic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 inches fresh ginger grated
- 2 inches turmeric grated
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp all spice
- Add the carrots and stock to a large soup pot. Cover and cook on high until carrots are soft (20-25 minutes). Add the fresh turmeric and ginger and cook for 3 minutes.
- Heat your oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add your leeks, chopped onion, salt, pepper and mustard. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the leek is slightly softened.
- Once cooked, add the leeks and onion to the large soup pot.
- Let cool slightly and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth. Stir in lemon zest, coconut cream and desired salt and pepper.
- Ladle your soup into bowls and garnish with your favorite toasted nuts or seeds. Fresh chives would also be delicious!