THIS IS MY FAVORITE!! & Ryans Also 🙂 Hope you guys enjoy it as much as we do!
Healthy 7 Layer Dip
Refried Black Beans
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped yellow or white onion about ¼ medium onion
- 3 black garlic cloves or regular garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 can 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 ½ cups cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup water
- Celtic salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium avocados halved and pitted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice about ½ medium lime
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Other ingredients
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- Splash of lemon juice
- Cilantro minced
My homemade salsa recipe
- Minced Jalapeño – optional for more heat
- 1 cup pitted black olives cut into halves
- 1 scallion minced
- 1 cup shredded Gouda goats cheese
- To cook the black beans: In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onions and a few dashes of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened and are turning translucent, about 3 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili powder. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the drained beans and water. Stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, then remove the lid and use a potato masher or the back of a fork to mash up about at least half of the beans. Continue to cook the beans, uncovered, stirring often, for 3 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the salt and pepper. Taste, and add more salt and/or pepper if necessary. If the beans seem dry, add a very small splash of water and stir to combine. Spread the beans into an even layer in a shallow, medium-sized serving bowl.
- To prepare the guacamole: Use a spoon to scoop the flesh of the avocado into a small mixing bowl. Add the lime juice and salt. Mash with a clean potato masher or fork until the mixture is blended and no longer chunky. Taste and add additional lime juice and/or salt, if necessary. Spread the guacamole on top of the beans, leaving the outer ½” of beans visible for presentation value.
- Mix together the Greek yogurt, lemon, and minced cilantro. Once mixed add on top of the guacamole in an even layer
- To avoid watering down your dip, drain the salsa in a fine mesh colander, or use a fork to transfers the solids onto the guacamole, again leaving the outer ½” of the guacamole visible.
- Add scallions, then top with cheese, olives, and Jalapenos 🙂