Making my own vegetable broth is my favorite! soups are such a staple in our house, so having fresh homemade vegetable broth around is a must so my soups have that extra flavor and nutrients.
Homemade Gut-Healing Vegetable Broth
- 13 cups filtered water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil argan oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion quartered or sweet onion with skins
- 1 whole garlic bulb smashed
- 1 chili pepper roughly chopped with seeds
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger roughly chopped with skin
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- A handful of fresh parsley sage, rosemary, & oregano
- 5-6 cup mixed chopped vegetables and peelings I used carrot peelings fresh mushrooms, leeks, and celery, spring onion
- 1/2 cup fresh or dried shiitake mushrooms
- 30 g dried wakame seaweed
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 tbsp fresh turmeric ground turmeric
- *optional 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- Simply add everything to a large pot. Bring to a boil then low simmer, with the lid on, or slightly cracked for about 6-12 hours.
- Once everything has been cooked down, strain the liquid into a large bowl.
- Serve immediately with some fresh herbs, and drink out of a cup, or cool for later. It also freezes well!