For a satisfying and comforting dish, look no further than my mushroom and pumpkin risotto. This meal feels luxurious but it’s an easy dish that I love to whip out when I need an impressive, yet cozy meal. This risotto is full of autumnal goodness with delicious spices, savory mushrooms and sweet Fall pumpkin. Enjoy!
Mushroom and Pumpkin Risotto
- 5 oz shiitake or oyster mushrooms
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 shallot minced
- Parsley for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat half the olive oil. Add washed, stemmed and sliced mushrooms and sauté until brown (about 5-7 minutes). Season well with salt and 1 clove of minced garlic. Once browned and seasoned, remove mushrooms from skillet and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth and pumpkin puree. If it’s not whisking well, I recommend heating it up a bit. Set aside.
- Put the pan back on heat and sauté the minced shallot for 3-5 minutes in some olive oil. Stir in rice and toast it until it's browned, stirring consistently for a few minutes.
- Pour in two cups of the pumpkin broth into the rice and simmer until the rice absorbs the liquid.
- Continue adding in broth (1 or 2 ladles at a time) until the rice is cooked and starchy.
- Stir in the sautéed mushrooms and adjust seasoning as necessary.