A healthy diet is all about balance. And after a few days of what feels like constant-mashed-potatoes… I needed a soup today. I tossed together what I had in my fridge and pantry and it turned out to be just what I needed— a perfectly seasoned, full-of-greens type of detox soup. I might have Thanksgiving leftovers again for dinner… but adding the greens in today for lunch really made a difference in my energy levels! Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Super Green Soup
- 8 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion chopped finely
- 4 large stalks of celery trimmed and chopped
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus ends removed and chopped
- 2 bunches broccoli heads only
- 1 large zucchini
- 3 large garlic cloves or 4-5 small ones, minced
- 1 tbsp all purpose seasoning
- 1 tbsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 bunch of parsley leaves only chopped
- 1 bunch of kale stems removed and chopped
- 1 bunch of collard greens chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, add 1 tbsp of walnut oil. Add in onions and sauté until translucent.
- Chop all other vegetable ingredients into small pieces.
- Add in the celery and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in all dry seasonings and stir well for about a minute or until fragrant.
- Add in vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add in chopped broccoli, asparagus, and zucchini and simmer in the soup pot for about 30 minutes or until fragrant and the veggies are tender.
- Add in chopped parsley, kale and collard greens and stir well. Allow the greens to get soft, about 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool. When cool enough to handle, blend using a handheld immersion blender or in a high powered blender.
- Add back into the soup pot, taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.