Warm Chicken Meatball & Vegetable Soup
When I shared a little behind-the-scenes of making these meatballs on my stories, I received so many DMs of people who couldn’t wait for this recipe! Mixed veggies (use what you have!) and mini meatballs make for the perfect casual dinner.
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 head of broccoli chopped
- 1 celery root chopped
- 1 bulb of fennel chopped
- 1 leak chopped
- 2 zucchinis chopped
- 1 bunch of kale chopped
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 1 tsp fresh dill minced
- 1 tsp parsley minced
- 1 tsp thyme minced
- 1 tsp oregano minced
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp all purpose seasoning
- 1 full lemon juiced
- 9-10 cups of vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce I have a great recipe for this!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond or coconut flour
- Chop all your veggies into bite size pieces.
- Add onion to 3 tbsp walnut oil, olive oil, or coconut oil. Sauté onion for 10 minutes.
- Add in leak and fennel and cook for another 8 minutes
- Add celery root, celery, and carrot to your pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in broccoli, zucchini, herbs, and jalapeño. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in broth and bring to a simmer.
- While it’s simmering, add ground chicken into a large bowl and mix in pesto. Add egg and flour, mix together and roll into balls. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs at 375 F for 12 minutes, rotating them halfway through. For the last 2 minutes, turn oven to broil so they turn nice and golden brown.
- Add in chopped kale and peas to your soup and turn off the heat. Before serving, add in lemon juice. Dish into soup bowls and top with finished meat balls.