When @chrisappleton1 and I got together a few months ago, I taught him how to make a few delicious appetizers. You can watch us make it (in exchange for some hair tips from the hair expert, himself!) in the IGTV I posted today on @shaynateresetaylor. Roasted beets get a creamy update with goat cheese and herbs, plus a little crunch from delicious walnuts. Obviously, none of us will have any company soon, but make it as a snack or a side dish for yourself and your household. It’s yummy, easy and fresh!
Roasted Beets with Creamy, Herb Goat Cheese
- 4 large beets greens removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 orange
- 1 cup goat cheese soft & organic!
- 1 cup walnuts chopped, soaked and toasted
- 1/2 tsp tarragon minced
- 1/2 tsp parsley minced
- 1/2 tsp dill minced
- 1/2 tsp chives minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450 F.
- Grate the zest of one orange and set aside. Halve the orange and place one half in a baking dish with the beets. The contents should be able to fit in one single layer in the baking dish.
- Drizzle the orange and beets with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add in the garlic cloves, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss. Cover the dish with foil and roast for about 45 minutes or until the beets are tender when pierced. Remove beets from oven and let cool.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the goat cheese in a small bowl. Add the chives, parsley, tarragon and dill and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Using a paring knife, gently remove the beet skins with the dull side. Cut the beets into bite size triangles.
- Using the roasted orange half, squeeze the remaining liquid into a small bowl and whisk in 1 tbsp olive oil to make a dressing.
- Spread the goat cheese mixture on the bottom of your serving plate.
- Arrange your beet slices on the plate, sprinkle on a few toasted walnuts, sprouts and top with roasted beet juice, leftover from the pan! Garnish with orange zest and serve immediately.