Looking for an easy recipe to bring to this weekend’s backyard get-together? Look no further than my Light Summer Salad with Oranges, Cherries, and Fresh Herbs! It’s a vegan dish that will wow absolutely everybody as it’s light, fresh, and bursting with summer flavor. On busy holiday weekends, you deserve to do less work (and not feel bad about it!) and this easy recipe can be made in less than 20 minutes. This salad features sweet summer cherries, which I rounded out with spicy arugula, toasted walnuts, and my favorite fresh herbs. Feel free to add a protein but I find it delicious as is! Enjoy!
Light Summer Salad with Oranges, Cherries, and Fresh Herbs
- 1 cup rinsed and sprouted quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 cucumber seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cups pitted and quartered fresh cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 orange sliced and rind removed
- 1/3 cup sprouts of choice
- 1/2 orange zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 shallot minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the quinoa and vegetable broth (or water) to a pot over medium heat. Once boiling, lower the temperature to simmer and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside to cool with the lid on the pot for 5 minutes. Fluff quinoa and let cool.
- In a large bowl, add the arugula, cooked quinoa, cherries, cucumber, walnuts, orange, sprouts, and fresh herbs.
- In a small bowl, add the juice and zest of 1/2 orange, the olive oil, garlic, shallot and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine and pour over the salad. Toss to mix and serve.
What do you think?