With the holidays right around the corner, I wanted to share my Roasted Squash Appetizer with Yogurt, Dates, Olives, and Shallot as I think it will be absolutely perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas and any other gatherings you may have this fall. It’s a perfect serve-yourself style of appetizer that is just SO interesting and unique in terms of flavor. Inspired by Eye Swoon’s recipe, there’s really no dish that is more Fall than this! Save it and definitely make it this Holiday season!
Roasted Squash Appetizer with Yogurt, Dates, Olives and Shallot
- 1 acorn squash cut into wedges
- 4 shallots peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus more for drizzle
- 3/4 cup dates pitted and quartered
- 1 serrano chili sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 grapefruit zested
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 tbsp Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp almonds roughly chopped
- 16 oz unsweetened unflavored coconut yogurt or greek yogurt (I especially love a goat’s milk greek yogurt!)
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Remove the seeds from the acorn squash and carefully slice into 1” wedges. Slice the shallots.
- On a large baking sheet, add the squash and shallot and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and carefully arrange everything in a single layer.
- Roast for 25 minutes, flipping the squash halfway through.
- After 25 minutes, remove pans from oven and reduce the heat to 375F. Add about half of the zest of both the grapefruit and lemon, the pitted and halved olives, pitted and quartered dates, Serrano chili, and garlic. Drizzle with more olive oil and roast for another 10 minutes.
- To plate, use the back of a spoon or spatula to spread coconut or greek yogurt on a serving dish. Place squash and scallops on top, finishing with the remaining cooked elements. Finish with salt, pepper, the rest of the zest and the chopped almonds. Enjoy!