Not to stress you out but Thanksgiving is in less than two weeks… but don’t worry— I’m sharing today an easy and delicious side dish (that isn’t covered in dairy products!) that can be made in advance and popped in the oven to warm up!
It’s a browned ghee and bourbon sweet potato that’s simply made in just ONE skillet. I don’t drink bourbon but the addition in this dish makes for one richly savory side! Delicious, can be made an advance and only needs one pan?! Count me in for less time in the kitchen on Thanksgiving AAAAND less dish washing! Enjoy!
Browned Ghee and Bourbon Sweet Potato Skillet
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large purple potato if you can’t find this, use 2-3 sweet potatoes!
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup ghee
- Fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Rinse and peel the potatoes. Slice your potatoes thin into 1/4-1/2 inch slices. I found a mandoline to be easiest but you can definitely do this with a sharp knife.
- In a large skillet, add your ghee and melt it until it’s a liquid-y consistency. While ghee doesn’t brown as noticeably as butter, the flavor does in fact intensify like browned butter. I’d “brown” the ghee for about 5 minutes or until that delicious, nutty aroma fills the kitchen.
- Once the ghee is brown, add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Add a few thyme sprigs and the bourbon (slowly). Whisk the skillet as you add the bourbon.
- Remove from heat and pour the mixture in a measuring cup.
- In the skillet, arrange the sliced potatoes in a pattern. I started around the edges and alternated my colors. Pour the melted ghee mixture over the potatoes.
- Roast at 350F for around 35-40 minutes or until tender and cooked through.
What do you think?