There’s really nothing better than a savory breakfast recipe and my Cheesy Egg and Avocado Toast hits the spot every time. Inspired by @halfbakedharvest’s recipe, this dish takes breakfast to a whole new level. Warm jammy eggs are mashed with grated manchego cheese, melting the cheese and creating a creamy, salty mix. I love the way this warm cheesy egg contrasts with the brightness from the cold avocado and fresh herbs. You’re just going to have to try this method— it’s the BEST ever.
Cheesy Egg and Avocado Toast
- 1 slice gluten free sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp fresh dill minced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup grated manchego cheese
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- Boil a pot of water on the stove.
- Toast your bread. I opted for toasting with a small pat of butter in a skillet over the stove.
- Mash your ripe avocado in a bowl with the fresh herbs until mostly smooth.
- Once the water is boiling, add the eggs and boil for 6 minutes or until jammy.
- In the meantime, grate the cheese.
- Once cooked, remove the egg shell and carefully cut them open, placing into another small bowl with the grated cheese. Using a fork, mash until combined. The warmth from the cooked eggs will melt the cheese.
- To plate, spread the avocado mixture on the toasted bread. Add the egg and cheese mixture, topping with more fresh herbs, red pepper flakes to taste and hot sauce to taste. Finish with a little more grated cheese and enjoy.