Yesterday, I had a few zucchinis in my fridge and I wanted to come up with a creative new way to use them! My Creamy Zucchini, Sundried Tomato, and Lemon Pasta Sauce came out better than I could have imagined. If you’re cooking for picky eaters or little ones at home, this is a wonderful way to sneak in tons of fresh veggies. The grated zucchini almost melts into a delicious pasta sauce and the fresh lemon zest and juice work to brighten up a carb-heavy dish. As a note, I also prepared this for a vegan friend and opted out of the cheese and that turned out delicious as well! Enjoy!
Creamy Zucchini, Sundried Tomato and Lemon Pasta Sauce
- 3 medium zucchinis grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 large cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 1 additional lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 cup of pecorino cheese grated
- 1/3 cup of sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tbsp of sun dried tomato oil
- Grate your zucchini over a bowl. Squeeze water out of grated zucchini using a clean dish towel. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a pan and add the shallots and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add salt, dried basil and red pepper and stir.
- Add the zucchini, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stirring occasionally, cook until the zucchini begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Grate in the pecorino cheese and stir to combine. Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and the oil and mix.
- Once the pasta is ready, add 1.5 cups of the pasta water to the zucchini mixture and stir to combine until its smooth and saucy.
- Add in your pasta and mix until fully covered.
- Taste and season as necessary.