Not sure if it’s the cooler temperatures or the football games on TV, but Fall has always put me in the mood for chili. I love this recipe because it’s meatless, but is not lacking in flavor. I added in the usual players— plenty of garlic, spices, beans and veggies but the subtle pumpkin flavor is the real star here. Comforting, cozy and delicious— sounds like the perfect Autumn dish to me!
Fall Pumpkin and Veggie Chili
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Northern beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 15 oz organic stewed and chopped tomatoes do not drain
- 1 cup peas
- 4 cups kale stems removed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain beans and rinse well. In a large soup pot, combine all ingredients except for the peas, kale and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, simmering for 2 hours and stirring occasionally.
- In the last 30 minutes, add tomatoes, peas and kale to soften. Serve warm and store leftovers covered in the fridge.