Since putting in the new grill in my backyard, I’ve been waiting for the RIGHT recipe to share with you guys and this is it: My Grilled Romaine Salad with a Bacon, Croutons and a Lemon, Garlic Dressing. Don’t have a grill? Don’t stress, you can easily prepare this dish in a cast iron pan over the stove. Fresh heads of romaine lettuce are split down the middle, grilled until charred, and topped with crispy bacon, crunchy croutons, a generous sprinkle of parmesan and a deliciously creamy dressing. Sure to be a summertime favorite!
Grilled Romaine Salad with a Bacon, Croutons and a Lemon, Garlic Dressing
- 1/4 cup healthy mayonnaise
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus more for brushing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 romaine heart halved with outer leaves removed
- 2 pieces gluten free bread cubed
- Shaved manchego for garnish
- Heat your grill to medium-high. If you aren’t using a grill, heat a cast iron pan on the stove.
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Whisk well until a dressing forms. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Cut the turkey bacon into small pieces and cook until crispy. Add to a paper towel once cooked and let cool.
- Remove some of the outer leaves of the romaine heart and cut in half lengthwise, leaving the ends intact so it holds together. Brush the cut sides with olive oil.
- Place cut side down on the hot grill (or cast iron pan) and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally until its slightly charred.
- Cube your bread slices and add to a pan with a tsp of olive oil, stirring occasionally until croutons form.
- Place the grilled romaine cut-side up on a serving plate. Drizzle with the dressing, bacon bits, croutons, and freshly shaved manchego.