Chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food 💛 This recipe is loaded with the same buttery and creamy flavor, but guess what? It’s gluten and dairy free! It’s a family friendly recipe— easy to whip up and no one can complain about eating vegetables because they’re eating PIE for dinner! Additionally this recipe reheats really well (perfect for leftovers)— although, it didn’t last more than a day in my house 😂 Enjoy!
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie
For the flaky, buttery crust:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tapioca starch plus a few more tbsp for rolling out the dough
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 2 whole eggs 1 will be used for the egg wash
- 1/2 tsp celtic salt
- 1 tsp water for the egg wash
For the pie filling:
- 2 medium sized chicken breasts
- 2 ghee
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 bunch asparagus chopped into small pieces (after removing the woody end— only use the tender end)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup organic coconut cream
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder dissolved in 1 tbsp cold water
- Add the flours, starch, salt and ghee to a food processor and pulse until combined. Add the egg and continue to pulse until you mixture forms into a dough. Wrap your dough in plastic wrap or reusable wrap (I like @abeego) and chill until ready to roll out.
- Coat the bottom of your frying pan with ghee and heat. Cook the chicken until browned on one side (about 10 mins) and then flip the chicken to brown the other side. Cover with a lid and cook until it’s fully cooked through (no traces of pink inside— about 20 minutes)
- Remove the chicken from heat and let cool. Once cooled, then shred the meat with a fork and set aside.
- Add additional ghee to the pan and sauté the chopped onion until translucent. Add mushrooms and chopped carrot and sauté for another 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add in the coconut milk and simmer for a few minutes.
- Temper the arrowroot mixture with some of the liquid from the pan and add it to the pan to thicken it. Simmer for a few more minutes and add the asparagus at the end. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and take the dough out of the fridge. Fill a pie dish with the chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Roll out your dough, sprinkling with tapioca starch. Top your pie dish with your dough and pinch down the edges with your fingers. Whisk together the egg and water and brush on top of the pie.
- Put small vents in the top and bake until golden brown on top (about 18-20 minutes).