I was working in my garden this week and was so excited about the celery I’ve grown. I included it in my chicken soup this afternoon and it added a ton of great flavor. You could make this chicken soup with whatever vegetables you have on hand but tonight I used onion, carrots, kale, zucchini and my delicious celery! Enjoy this recipe x
Hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 whole chicken organic, free range
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 collard greens bundles
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 black garlic clove
- 3 large carrots
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 tbsp pepper corn
- Celtic Salt
- 1 large handful fresh thyme
- 1 large handful fresh oregano
- 1 large handful fresh basil
- 1/3 cup kombu flakes
- 2 medium dried red peppers diced
- 2 tbsp mustard seed
- 1/8 tsp cayenne add more if you would prefer it spicy
- 1/8 tsp chili powder add more if you would prefer it spicy
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 2 star anise pods
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Natural spring water amount depends on amount of chicken
- Put the whole chicken into a large soup pot.
- Add all spices and seasonings to the soup pot.
- Cover with natural spring water until the chicken is submerged and the water is at least two inches above the top of the chicken.
- Bring your chicken to a boil and then simmer it for at least 1.5 hours.
- After 1.5 hours, pull out chicken and set aside to cool slightly.
- Continue to simmer the broth for another 30 minutes.
- After the chicken has cooled slightly, begin to shred using two forks to pull the chicken. Set aside.
- Chop all vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and add onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add the remaining vegetables and cook for two minutes.
- Add the vegetables and the chicken back to the soup broth and serve warm.