One of the most overlooked holiday side is the salad and honestly, it shouldn’t be. My Kale Salad with Crispy Chickpeas, Fried Shallots and Persimmons is one that will steal the show this Christmas. I found the inspiration for it from PureWow on Pinterest and knew I had to tried it. It’s absolutely delicious, with varying textures, flavors and the easiest dressing ever to toss together. Best of all? It’s the LIGHTEST salad ever. Like truly would be perfect to accompany any and all heavy holiday recipes (like turkey, stuffing, potatoes, bread, etc). Make it this holiday season… just trust me!
Kale Salad with Crispy Chickpeas, Fried Shallots, and Persimmons
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- Olive oil- about 8 tbsp divided
- 2 large shallots thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 cups kale leaves rind removed and finely chopped
- 2 persimmons thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pat them dry. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with about 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Bake until crisp and golden brown— about 45 minutes.
- Heat another 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Sauté the shallots until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Once crispy, put on paper towel to cool and drain the excess oil.
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing by whisking together 3 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and maple syrup. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the kale and add to a large bowl. Add a tbsp or two of olive oil and use your hands massage the kale. Massage for at least 1 minute or until kale begins to soften.
- On a serving plater, plate the massage kale, sliced persimmons, crispy chickpeas and shallots and finish with a generous pour of the prepared dressing.