Fall Peach and Millet Porridge
Happy first day of Fall! Here’s a seasonally appropriate breakfast idea I love a good porridge… have you ever tried millet before? Rich in iron, B vitamins and calcium, millet has a mild flavor and is naturally gluten-free.
The peaches on top are coated in sweet maple syrup and spicy cinnamon for a warming kick. You can use whatever stone fruit you have (I’m thinking cherries or plums would be amazing, too!) This porridge can be made in large batches and stored for the week ahead for a quick breakfast. If you’re going to prepare in advance, I’d recommend removing it from the heat about 5 minutes early as the millet will continue to soak up the liquid overnight and when reheated.
- 2 peaches pitted and cubed
- 2 tsp coconut oil melted
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup millet
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk or your favorite vegan milk
- 2.5 cups filtered water
- 4 scoops collagen powder
- 1/2 tsp alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together peaches, melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Add a pinch of cinnamon and mix until peaches are fully coated.
- Add to a nonstick pan over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, cook the peaches on the stove until caramelized and warmed through.
- While the fruit is cooking, grind millet in a blender until crushed. Be careful not to grind too much or it will turn into a flour.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the millet has absorbed the liquid (about 18-20 minutes).
- To serve, scoop the porridge into a bowl and top with caramelized peaches and shredded coconut.
Submit your review