I love sweet potatoes and bought a few too many for Thanksgiving… tonight, I whipped up a super quick side dish: roasted sweet potato fries with my homemade pesto sauce. As basil might be my favorite herb, pesto is probably my favorite type of sauce! My pesto makes a few tweaks to the traditional Italian preparation and I think these ingredients make a truly delicious sauce! I’m not going to tell you what to do BUUUUT you should DEFINITELY make it this week… here’s the recipe:
Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with Homemade Basil Pesto
2-3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the pesto:
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 tsp celtic salt plus more to taste
- 2 cups fresh basil packed
- 2 cups spinach packed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Chilli pepper flakes to taste
- After washing and peeling well, slice the sweet potatoes into long, thin fry shapes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss the sliced sweet potatoes well with olive oil and seasonings.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes in a single layer onto the baking sheet. Try not to crowd the sheet or they won’t bake. Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes. Flip the fries halfway through and rotate the sheet for even browning.
- While baking, prepare the pesto sauce by placing all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until well combined and add olive oil until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Remove fries from oven and serve the sauce alongside or on top of them. Enjoy!