Is this stuffed squash the most perfect fall meal or what?! I know you guys will love this recipe… roasted acorn squash halves get filled and topped with spices, ground chicken and other fall flavors. I love how the filling mixture turns golden and crispy in the oven as it contrasts well with the tender squash underneath. Make it this week and let me know how much you loved it!
Stuffed Acorn Squash with Ground Chicken, Kale and Autumnal Spices
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme minced
- 1/2 ground chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp herbs de provence
- 1 bunch kale fibrous cores removed and chopped
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut the ends of the squash and halve. sing a spoon, remove the seeds and brush well with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and roast until fork tender (about 30 minutes).
- In a large skillet, cook the ground chicken, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Add onion, celery, garlic and seasonings and stir until cooked through.
- Add kale and cook, stirring frequently until kale is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Divide mixture among the squash halves and top with pumpkin seeds. Switch oven to broil and broil the stuffed squash until golden brown (about 2 minutes).