I know many people have a family recipe for pasta salad that gets brought out for picnics, family events and especially holidays like the Fourth 🇺🇸 Because this fresh pasta salad recipe comes together in under 20 minutes, this is my go-to! Tossed well with kalamata olives, pine nuts and an avocado pesto sauce, this is a vegan, dairy and gluten-free hit that everyone can enjoy 🍅
Vegan Summer Pesto Pasta Salad
Ingredients for the pesto
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 tsp sea salt plus more to taste
- 2 cups fresh basil packed
- 2 cups spinach packed
- 1 avocado
- 3 cloves garlic minced about 1 1/2 tbsp
- Optional: 3 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes chopped if in oil: drain
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil more may be needed
- Pepper flakes to taste
- ** you can also use your favorite organic store bought pesto too: just combine well with the avocado**
Ingredients for the pasta salad
- 1 lb gluten free fusilli pasta
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives pitted and hailed
- 2 tbsp pine nuts toasted
- 2 tbsp almonds toasted and chopped
- Toast your nuts in the oven until golden brown.
- Add all pesto ingredients to a food processor and blend, adding olive oil until the desired consistency is reached.
- Cook the pasta according to directions, strain and let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until well tossed. Enjoy at room temperature or cold!