Let’s talk holiday sides. I know for Christmas the star of the show is usually the turkey, ham or (for me) the cookies. But my broccoli side can rival all of those. It’s warm and comforting but fresh because of the delicious lemon squeeze. It’s much lighter than the typical sides like starchy-potatoes and heavy pasta. This dish is easy and beautiful— the two things I really look for when serving anyone for a holiday meal! Enjoy!
Zesty Broccoli with Lemon, Olive Oil and Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 large heads broccoli
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole lemon juiced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Boil a large pot of water with a pinch of celtic salt.
- Add in trimmed and washed broccoli once the water is boiling.
- While the broccoli is boiling, prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Boil the broccoli until slightly tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Once the broccoli is tender, strain it and dump in the bowl of ice water to blanch.
- Strain from ice water.
- Leave in strainer to allow all water to drip for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes of straining, place broccoli on paper towels to really dry it out. If you do not dry it properly in this stage, it will not brown properly.
- Add oil to a skillet, with minced garlic.
- Chop your tender broccoli until its very small. As soon as the garlic starts to sizzle, add in chopped and dried broccoli. Add in salt and pepper and the chili flakes. Stir well to fix.
- Let it sit on medium-high heat until the bottom of the broccoli starts to turn brown. Mix it once, and let that bottom side brown again. Mix, add the lemon juice and stir well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.