Remember the salad dressing I raved about yesterday? I used it today in a fun new way with my delicious Collard Green Salad with Figs, Peas and Pumpkin Seeds. Peas and pumpkin seeds pump up the protein in this dish, making it a more hearty meatless main. Fresh figs are a big fiber boost and add a slightly sweet element. Prep all components ahead and assemble just before serving for easy summer entertaining or last minute dinners at home.
Collard Green Salad with Figs, Peas and Pumpkin Seeds
Ingredients for the salad
- 1 bundle collard greens stems removed and chopped
- 3 fresh figs sliced thin
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup shucked peas
Ingredients for the dressing
- 1 cup whole leaf parsley
- 1 cup whole leaf basil
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 dates pitted
- Salt to taste
- Remove the fibrous stem from each collard green leaf. Stack each leaf on top of one another and then roll up like a burrito. Using a sharp knife, slice them into thin ribbons. This technique is called the chiffonade, and can be used on all large lettuces and fresh herbs.
- Slice the figs and add to the bowl of collard greens.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add the pumpkin seeds and toast until fragrant and golden brown, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Heat water in a small saucepan on the stove until boiling. Carefully add the peas and let them cook for a minute and thirty seconds. Drain them from the boiling water and add to a bowl of ice water. This stops the residual heat from cooking them any longer.
- Drain peas from ice water and add with the toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a blender or blend with a handheld immersion blender. Blend until smooth. Drizzle on dressing and toss well to combine.