As you can see when I was cooking last week, I was on a Greek-kick. Yesterday, I shared my homemade tzatziki recipe and today, my favorite Greek Avgolemono soup! It’s a deliciously creamy lemon chicken soup with gluten-free orzo and NO DAIRY. To create the thickness of the broth, whisk in the egg yolks at the end— I know it may seem weird, but trust me. It makes ALL the difference in this soup! Top with fresh dill, and serve alongside tzatziki for a trip to Athens without ever leaving your home!
Greek Style Avgolemono Soup with Lemon, Chicken and GF Orzo
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup gluten-free uncooked orzo
- 3 tbsp fresh dill plus 1 tbsp to serve
- 3 egg yolks
- 2-3 lemons juiced (depends on size)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In the bottom of a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté your onion until almost translucent. Add in garlic and carrots and sauté until carrots begin to become tender.
- Make space in the pot for the chicken breasts and sear until golden brown on both sides (about 2-3 mins each side).
- Add the uncooked orzo, broth, dill, and salt and pepper. Bring to simmer and cook in a covered pot for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove chicken and use two forks to shred. Reserve 1 cup of the hot broth and slowly add it to your egg yolks, whisking consistently. If you add it too quickly or without whisking vigorously, the egg will scramble.
- Once the egg has been tempered, add it to the soup pot, along with the shredded chicken and the juice of 2-3 lemons.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve with fresh dill on top and garnish with a lemon wheel.