My homemade tomato sauce can be used for both pizza and pasta and might make you never purchase another jar of ready-made sauce. With sautéed onion, garlic and delicious heirloom tomatoes, you’ll have a sauce ready in about 15 minutes. Unlike the jarred sauces, this recipe is vegan, gluten-free and has zero preservatives, added sugar or questionable ingredients. I’ll make it ahead of a busy week and have both pasta and pizza nights squared away, making this a great recipe for busy professionals, students and/or moms! 🧡
Homemade Tomato Sauce for Pasta & Pizza
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 medium sized heirloom tomatoes chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup organic dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop onion and add to a skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle in olive oil and stir well.
- Cook the onions for about 5 minutes until the onion softens and becomes fragrant.
- Add in minced garlic and stir.
- In the meantime, chop the tomatoes. After about 3 minutes of the garlic and onion cooking, add in the tomatoes.
- Stirring occasionally, cook until the tomatoes soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the dried seasonings, tomato paste and wine and bring to a soft boil.
- By now, all ingredients should start to resemble a sauce-y consistency. Turn off heat and let cool slightly before blending with a handheld immersion blender or blending in a traditional blender.
- Use for pizza, pasta or store in the fridge for up to one week.