A salad so good, I’ve made (and shared it) dozens of times. There is something so addictive about my Light Summer Salad with Peas, Kabocha Squash, Grapefruit and Mint. I think it’s the combination of the textures and flavors as the tender squash, crisp radicchio and flavorful grapefruit and herbs marry and contrast one another. I switched this recipe up a little bit and added a date to the dressing— something that makes it even more delicious and divine! It’s so good I prepare it for company but also so easy I make it for weekday lunches. I know you will love this one…
- 1/2 kabocha squash cubed
- 1 head of radicchio chopped
- 1 cup of spinach chopped
- 1 small handful parsley minced
- 2 tbsp mint minced
- 1/2 lb shucked peas
- 2 grapefruits supremed
Ingredients for the dressing
- Juice of 2 grapefruits
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 date pitted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Cut the kabocha squash in half, remove the seeds and cut into small 1-inch cubes.
- Place squash on a parchment lined baking sheet, toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway.
- In the meantime, prepare the rest of the salad ingredients. Heat water in a small saucepan on the stove until boiling. Carefully add the peas and let them cook for a minute and thirty seconds. Drain them from the boiling water and add to a bowl of ice water. This stops the residual heat from cooking them any longer.
- Chop radicchio and spinach and add to a bowl. Mince mint and parsley and add. Drain peas from ice water and add.
- To supreme your grapefruits, remove the peel from the grapefruit and carefully using a knife, separate the grapefruit meat from the bitter pith that holds the segments in place. Go around the entire grapefruit until it’s completely supremed.
- Once finished, squeeze the remaining juice of the grapefruit in a small bowl or blender. Add olive oil and the pitted date and using a food processor, blender or handheld immersion blender, pulse until smooth.
- Once the squash is finished roasting, remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, add to the large salad bowl with the dressing and toss well to combine.