Millet Porridge with Plums, Berries and Pumpkin Butter
Have you ever tried millet before? Rich in iron, B vitamins and calcium, millet has a mild flavor (similar to cream of wheat) and is naturally gluten-free. You can use whatever fruit you have (I used bananas, blueberries, blackberries and plums) This porridge can be made in large batches and stored for the week ahead for a quick breakfast. If you’re going to prepare in advance, I’d recommend removing it from the heat about 5 minutes early as the millet will continue to soak up the liquid overnight and when reheated.
Ingredients for the porridge
- 1 cup millet flakes
- 3 cups vegan milk of choice
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp ceylon cinnamon
- A dash of maple syrup
- 1 banana
- Small handful of blueberries
- 1 Plum sliced
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seed butter
- Honey to taste
- In a saucepan over the stove, add the milk and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the millet, chia, cinnamon and maple. Cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. It should be soft and consistent so add more liquid or cook time as needed.
- Serve with banana, plum, berries, pumpkin seed butter (or almond butter) and honey to taste. Serve warm.