- regard for one’s own well-being and happiness (chiefly considered as a desirable rather than narcissistic characteristic).
Self-compassion is a way of relating to yourself that does not involve harshly judging or punishing yourself for every mistake you make, or every time someone does better than you. Research on self-compassion shows that it is associated with:
- Less anxiety and depression.
- More optimism.
- Better recovery from stress.
- Better adherence to healthy behavior changes, such as exercise or diet.
Mindfulness and self-kindness is a good start. Recognizing that you are experiencing emotional distress or mental suffering… accepting that feeling and make a conscious decision to sit with whatever negative feeling is there and try to accept it — because it’s there anyway — rather than pushing it away. If it’s a negative thought, look for the underlying emotion (anxiety, sadness, or anger), or scan your body to see where you feel tension or discomfort. You may feel it in your chest, belly, shoulders, throat, face, jaw, or other areas. Once you find the area focus on relaxing it, breathing and being aware of the areas.
Good ways to start self-love;
- Taking a bath
- Getting a message
- Hanging with friends that lift up your spirits
- Just spend a whole day doing what YOU want to do
Sara WareDecember 31, 2018
So important to take care of yourself first! I wish every parent would instil this into our daughters. Thank you for taking about this subject!
Elizabeth AinscoughMarch 12, 2021
I am so glad I found your beautiful content on TikTok😊 You are a very inspirational soul! Thank you for sharing your gifts of knowledge and creativity! I would love to be on your email list. Thank you sincerely💌 Elizabeth Ainscough