I love a good fall salad! This one is easy and simple, but the fresh herbs and squash really spice it up for Autumn. I love adding roasted squash to salads as it makes it hearty and more of a “comfort food”, while the raw zucchini and asparagus liven it up.
Kabocha squash is a Japanese winter squash and is a bit sweeter than butternut squash! You’ve probably eaten it and not even realized it before. A butternut squash will work fine in this dish too— use what you can find at your grocery store!
Roasted Squash & Zucchini Salad
- 1 head frisee lettuce
- 2 head romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch of dandelion greens
- 5 cups spinach
- 3 zucchinis
- 1 kabocha squash roasted
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 handful fresh mint minced
- 1 handful fresh basil minced
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds chopped
for the dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roughly chop the kabocha squash and place it on the baking sheet. Drizzle oil over the top, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then mix it together until even coated (I use my hands).
- Roast squash for 30 minutes, stirring it around halfway through. Pierce with a fork to test tenderness. Once cooked, but not too soft, place baking sheet on cooling rack for squash to reach room temperature.
- While squash is cooking and cooling, prepare the rest of the salad. Chop greens, asparagus and zucchini and add to a large bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing and add cooled squash to the salad bowl. Toss well and serve.