Nothing makes me happier than going to the Farmers Market to pick out fresh ingredients to cook with. Tonight, I sautéed baby artichokes in some EVOO with lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. It’s a great side dish that will compliment your main course perfectly! ✨
Simple Sautéed Baby Artichokes
- 1 lb. baby artichokes
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from one big fat juicy lemon 2 tbsp.
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium bowl combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and a kiss of salt.
- Trim your artichokes. Cut off 1/3 from the top of the artichoke, trim the stem and then remove any and all tough outer leaves. You will need to remove more leaves than you think, just keep going until you see the tender inner leaves that are a nice light pale green.
- Slice the artichoke in half and add to the lemony olive oil mixture being sure to toss each half around so it is lightly coated in the lemony goodness. *Once the artichokes are exposed to oxygen they quickly oxidize (aka turn black) so take your time, but try to work as quickly as possible.
- Once you have all the artichokes prepped, heat a medium non-stick saut pan over a medium-high heat. Toss artichokes and the lemony olive oil mixture into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until the artichokes are lightly browned. Add a splash of water to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and flip all the artichokes, add another splash of water to the pan and cover for 2-3 minutes again. Remove the lid and allow the rest of the water to evaporate while artichokes get a nice light browning on the opposite side.
- Your artichokes are done when they can be easily pierced with a fork or knife.
- Serve with fresh lemon and enjoy!