WARNING, once you go homemade, you’ll never go back!
I have become VERY jaded when it comes to almond milk, or any nut milk, really. I get so disappointed when I go to a coffee or tea shop and order a matcha latte, and it’s chalky and tastes like the carton the almond milk came in. This is because of two reasons, 1. the almond milk isn’t fresh and homemade, and 2. the matcha is not a good quality matcha because they don’t want to spend the money on the good stuff. With that being said, save your money on the crappy matcha latte and make your own at home!
Thinking Of Making Your Own Almond Milk? It Is Easier Than You Think!
- a nut bag (you can also use a layer cheese cloth or a clean thin kitchen towel)
- a high bowered blender or Juicer (I use Hurom)
- 1 cup raw almonds soaked overnight in cool water (or 1-2 hours in very hot water if you need to speed up the process. But I recommend cool, overnight )
- 5 cups alkaline or filtered water less to thicken, more to thin
- Optional: 2 dates pitted, or other sweeteners of choice (omit for unsweetened)
- Optional: 1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean scraped (omit for plain)
- Optional: 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder for ‘chocolate milk’ or 1/2 cup berries for ‘berry milk’
- Add your soaked almonds, alkaline water, and any additional add-ins (optional) to a high-speed blender (like Vitamix or Blendtec). Blend until creamy and smooth. Keep it running for at least 1-2 minutes so you get the most out of your almonds.
- Strain using a nut milk bag or my favorite trick - a thin dish towel. Simply lay a clean dish towel over a mixing bowl, pour the almond milk over the towel, carefully gather the corners, and lift up. Then squeeze until all of the liquid is extracted. Discard pulp, or save for adding to baked goods (especially crackers).
- Transfer milk to a jar or covered bottle and refrigerate. Will keep for up to 4 days, though best when fresh. Shake well before drinking, as it tends to separate.
- I use a Hurom Juicer to make my almond milk! It has really saved my life and made things much easier! It literally does all the work for you! These machines aren't very cheap... but if you make almond milk as much as I do, it is worth the investment! When you purchase the juicer, it comes with a recipe book that not only tells how to make your own almond milk but many other recipes, like healthy ice creams! xoxo