I, too, find inspiration for a recipe on Instagram and TikTok and when I saw @herbifood’s Lentil Walnut Burrito, I knew I had to try my hand at it. I made a few tweaks to my taste and know you guys will really love this recipe. The lentils and walnuts are cooked with the same spices and seasonings that’s classic for taco or burrito meat, making it a seamless swap. Layer in your favorite ingredients like beans, rice, lettuce, pico de gallo, and even add in some fun additions like jalapeños or cheese if you’re not plant-based. I had a blast making these and know it’ll be a hit with both adults and kids! Enjoy.
Vegan Lentil Walnut Burrito
Ingredients for the lentil walnut “meat”:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2-1 chipotle pepper minced
- 2 tsp chipotle chili paste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 red onion
- Juice of 2 limes
- salt & pepper
Ingredients for the burrito
- 4 to rtillas
- Greens of choice
- Optional: rice beans, pico de gallo, etc.
- Prepare lentils according to package directions.
- Finely chop walnuts.
- Add the olive oil to a pan and sauté the garlic until golden, about a minute. Add the walnuts and stir, toasting for about 3 minutes.
- Add the minced chipotle pepper, cumin, oregano, and stir to combine. Add the tomatoes, diced pepper, and stir.
- Add a few tbsp of water at a time, stirring until soft. Add the cooked lentils and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, adding water as necessary if it becomes too dry.
- Add the juice of one lime, season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- To prepare the guacamole, add all ingredients to a bowl and mash until mostly smooth.
- To make the burrito, add guacamole, the lentil/walnut mixture and greens of choice to one end of the tortilla. You can also add rice, beans, pico de Gallo or anything you prefer in your burritos!
- To roll, push ingredients towards one side of the tortilla, tuck in the left and right sides before finishing the roll. To brown, add the rolled burrito to a pan over medium heat with the seam side down. Flip when golden brown.