My Warm Black Rice Summer Salad is by far one of the best recipes I’ve made in the last few weeks. And it’s so good, I’ve made it over and over. Warm, roasted veggies and fresh peas pile on top of steamed black rice. It all comes together with toasted almonds, loads of fresh herbs and a light, delicious salad dressing. Omit the cheese to keep it a vegan-friendly dish. As a note, this recipe serves 3-4 but I’ve been making it as meal prep! Simply prepare your bowls for your regular meal prep and wait to dress it until you’re ready to eat. Can’t wait for you to try this one.
Warm Black Rice Summer Salad
- Black rice about 2.5 cups
- 2 yellow zucchini chopped
- 1 shallot sliced thinly
- 1 bundle asparagus chopped with woody ends removed
- 1 1/2 cups peas
- 1 handful sprouts of choice
- Optional: pecorino cheese or other goat’s or sheep’s milk cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon
- 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parlsey
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1/4 cup almonds chopped
Salad dressing ingredients:
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parlsey minced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill minced
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon minced
- 1 tsp fresh jalapeño minced
- 1 tbsp fresh shallot minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or until desired consistency is reached
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F. Chopped zucchini, shallot and asparagus. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and golden brown on the edges— about 20-25 minutes. On a separate pan, add chopped almonds in the final 7-8 minutes, shaking occasionally to stir and flip the almonds.
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Boil peas until cooked al dente. Remove from heat and blanch in ice water to finish the cooking process. Drain from water and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by adding the ingredients to a small bowl and whisking. Add in the olive oil while whisking to emulsify the dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- To plate, add the cooked rice, roasted vegetables, blanched peas, sprouts, and almonds. If desired, add the cheese. Pour over the dressing and toss well to combine. Finish with fresh herbs.